Saturday, November 26, 2011

Belated Thanksgiving wishes

Happy belated Thanksgiving, everyone! We had a nice holiday and a good trip to the in laws. We got home last night so we could have a little time before heading back to work and school. Today Violet and I went out to Walmart, mainly to look for a winter coat for her. We found one she really liked, with a price tag I liked. Plus, the sleeves are long enough - unlike her old one. :)

Then this afternoon the three of us did something we almost never do...went to the movies. I really wanted to see The Muppets. I am a huge Muppet fan. Almost as big a fan as Walter from the movie, but not quite. It was really good. We have a great small town theater (not in our town, but in the next town over where Mr. I's office is). Matinee prices are $4. It isn't a big theater, but the sound and picture are pretty good and what more do you need?

Tomorrow, I'm going to start back to work. I know this will be a busy week between work, school and activities, so I'm going to try to get a jump start with one part before the craziness hits.

I started a new knitting experiment, knitting with 2 strands of yarn at once. Boy, does it make it nice and thick and squishy. I have some color combos in mind to try. And I want to do a hat with the round loom with 2 strands. The single strand hats are a little thin in the cold winter wind.

And in final news, remember when I took Violet off to the Teen Advisory Board at the our library, only to find that several of the "kids" on it were 19 and 20 and in college? Maybe I didn't post about it. Anyway, I let the librarian (who can't be over 25 herself) know that Violet wasn't going to be coming back because we weren't comfortable with a 12 year old hanging out with 20 year olds, no matter how nice they are...which I am sure they are, they wouldn't be library volunteers if they weren't. But it still wasn't right for us. And yes, I was nice about it. I told her I didn't want Violet to not show up without having told her why. It is a small library and they all know us.

Well, starting in December, they are splitting the group up into middle school ages and high school ages. They meet the same day, back to back. I'm going to sign Violet up to give it another try. I'm much more comfortable with this split. I'm guessing we weren't the only ones not comfortable with the huge age range. Everyone I mentioned it to (not connected with the group, since I didn't know any of the other parents) shuddered and shook their heads no. It is just too big of an age gap and Violet wasn't comfortable with it either. Maybe the library got enough kids interested to justify 2 separate groups. Whatever happened, I'm happy they are doing this.

I'm off to enjoy the last of my vacation. Hope you all have a good weekend!

1 comment:

Mel said...

I'm trying to find a winter coat that B doesn't hate and no luck so far. She thinks all of them are so uncool. Honestly I can't even find one for myself either. What a pain. We haven't seen the Muppets yet, probably will though. We did see Hugo and loved it.