Saturday, November 7, 2009

Do I look as old as I feel?

Judging from the comments I got while I was out tonight, I'd say the answer is yes. First at the grocery store, I bought wine. The lady at the checkout barely glanced my way before ringing it up. They are supposed to ask for your id if you look any where near 35. Huh, guess I don't look close. Then at Taco Bell (yes, it was a wild and crazy evening), two kids working there asked me if I need cup holders to carry 2 drinks to the car. I'm a mom, we can juggle 2 drinks, 2 bags of burritos, a purse, car keys and much more at once. No toddler in tow? That was a cakewalk. Then the old guy in line behind me asked me if I needed him to get the door for me. I thanked him, but no it opened out, I was good. All I needed was a Boy Scout trying to help me across the parking lot.

Did I really look at old and feeble tonight? Maybe. I haven't been sleeping well. I am really tired. In the last week I got my Wii Fit age twice. Once I was 22. The next time, 54. I'm going to forget the 54 ever happened and go with 22. Even if I feel 154.

In other news. Violet is much, much better. She's barely got a cough left. Just a little now and then. I'm so glad that appears to be over.

We are working on dictionary skills in homeschool. I'm going to be giving her lists of words to look up in the dictionary. Mostly for the practice with finding them. She struggles with alphabetizing. Adding a second or third letter just doesn't come naturally to her. So we're practicing. Besides, if she can get good at it, maybe I can hire her out as a file clerk. The world needs good file clerks. As long as the drawers aren't too high, she isn't that tall yet.

I figure we'll need the extra money. Apparently I'm going to need a walker soon. I'm going to get me a nice one with a fold down seat and tennis balls on the feet.

6 comments:

Wendy said...

The cashier was obviously lazy and didn't want to do her job. And the guy at Taco Bell was just being chivalrious. :-D 22 sounds good to me!

In a couple of years, I want to tackle dictionary skills with Gavin. The children's dictionaries I see when I go shopping are soooooo tempting!

Donna said...

You are to funny!
I am so glad to read your daughter is feeling better!

MOM #1 said...

That's ok, the walker with the fold down seat actually sounds like fun. Sometimes it's hard to find a nice sanitary place to sit in public, LOL.

I like when strangers open the door for me, I feel so "Madonna" when I can just breeze through without touching anything common. I'm sure that guy just thought you looked like a celebrity. ;-) He definitely didn't think you look old. Definitely not.

Gail said...

The other day the grocery clerk asked if I'd been sleeping well -- I guess I looked like death warmed over? I know she meant well (they see me enough to feel chummy, obviously), but still ....

Ami said...

I'll join your not sleeping well club.

I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror the other morning... said, "OH MY GOD... I've become my father!!"

So yeah.

You look mahvelous, dahling.

The Old Gray Mare said...

They gave me & Mr. T the senior citizen discount at Dairy Queen without even making a comment.