Friday, July 24, 2009

Gosh, how time flies!

I can't believe it has been nearly a week since I posted! I wasn't that busy, I'm not sure why I haven't updated. I'll try to catch you up.

On Monday night Violet had her first night of level 4 swimming lessons. In this level she will start to work on swimming strokes and speed for swim team. Now, she's unlikely to ever be on a swim team. Competing like that just isn't in her personality. Of course, she's welcome to if she wants. But I do see her lap swimming for exercise. She'll be learning butterfly stroke, flip turns and improving her front crawl, backstroke and breast stroke. Not bad for a kid who could barely dog paddle back in March!

Anyway, she's the only one in her class for now. Others may join. Still others may take it as a make up session. Her instructor told her that a lot of kids drop out after level 3. Well, I think maybe she meant the parents pull them out. They have become pretty darned good swimmers by the end of level 3. Violet spent the whole car ride home (okay, it is less than 10 minutes) telling me all the things Miss Emily told her to improve her strokes and speed. I'd say she likes it.

On Tuesday afternoon she had a homeschool friend over. They had lunch and played in the pool. Then they gave their American Girl dolls new hair styles. Don't worry, the dolls didn't get cuts or change their hair color.

Wednesday I had my yearly eye appointment. I go to the eye doctor back home. I really like him. After years of different eye doctors I decided I really preferred him. So I went back. Now he's in semi-retirement. I saw the pretty, young, blonde eye doctor who is taking over. (My dad had gone in there the week before me, and apparently he didn't mention the pretty, young or blonde part to my mom. Tee hee.) Violet hung out with my mom. My dad offered to drive me so that I wouldn't have to hang around with dilated eyes unable to drive home. I was really glad he did. The eye doctor's office is at a shopping mall, but it stinks when you can really browse because everything is blurry. We had lunch together before the appointment and coffee afterward. It was a nice afternoon. Well, as nice as it can be with eye dilation and a glaucoma test.

The good news: the eyes are healthy and no change in the contact prescription. The bad news: I need reading glasses. I have trouble seeing small print in dim light. If I can turn the light on real bright I'm fine. Once I thought I was going to light my menu on fire trying to read it in a dim restaurant by holding it up the candle. At the Girl Scout award dinner I went to I couldn't read the card that was with my thank you gift from our Director of Product Sales. Thank goodness I didn't get home in bright light and find out it said, "by accepting this gift you have agreed to volunteer at blah blah blah." It said some sap about volunteers are the heart of Girl Scouting. Dodged a bullet there.

But now I will be able to whip out my reading glasses and find out what those little cards and menus say. The eye doctor didn't try to sell me reading glasses, just said to pick up some 1.0 strength at the drug store. Violet went with me today and I found a cute pair of red rimmed glasses. I'll post a picture of me in them for you all to see. Can't do it now, I'm already in my jammies.

And now, the big news. I am a winner! Yes, AmiMental held a contest at her blog and raffled off some tie dye items. I won a pair of the socks! I'm so excited. When they arrive I'll post a picture of them as well. Thanks again Mental!

5 comments:

Ami said...

You're welcome. Hope you like them, sent the envelope on Thursday.

I wear reading glasses. I have several pairs of them stashed around the house and a pair I take to work.

Most of them are 1.0, but the pair I wear so I can see the whiskers long enough to yank them out are 2.75. That means that I can even see the white ones.

I'm sorry, was that TMI?

Mother Mayhem said...

But will the tie-dye and glasses clash? ;o)

I think the eye doctor did you a good turn by telling you that reading glasses can be purchased without having to shell out mucho bucks for a prescription.

Fatcat said...

Congratulations to Violet on the swimming!

I haven't given in on the reading glasses thing. I just hold things further away!

Wendy said...

It sounds like everything is going well overall, and I am glad to hear it. Happy to be reading your blog again!

Come on over here next time you're on; I have something for you.

MOM #1 said...

I can't wait to see the tye died socks. I LOVE tye dye but I just can't seem to get it right. I'm going to have to fly Ami in for a live consultation, I think.

Don't let the reading glasses get you down, I'm so blind it's not even funny. I wish I could pick up the RX for $10 at the Wal Mart. *SIGH*

Sounds like Voilet is really quite the swimmer. Maybe she can be a swim instructor since competition isn't her style. I know I need a lesson. I'm a professional drown-er. ;-)