Thursday, July 2, 2009

The economy still sucks

Got my bonus check today. It is half of what it was last year. I've worked at least as many hours, solved as many crises, pulled their butts out of the fan as many times, and got my bonus slashed in half. The letter said they were sorry that bonuses couldn't be as much as in the past.

How the hell is that my fault? You know, that's what really has been getting my knickers in a bunch. We waited to buy a house until we could afford one. We got a fixed rate mortgage and refinanced to another fixed rate mortgage. We've followed the rules and worked our asses off. And what do we get for it? Kicked in the balls.

Meanwhile the bigwigs who have screwed us all? Where are they? Are they wondering how they will pay for health insurance when they lose it? Are they wondering if their next paycheck will clear the bank and just how many more there will be?

What about those morons who bought houses they couldn't afford? Yes, I know the sleaze mortgage companies talked them into it, but guess what? You are grown ups and needed to take responsibility for yourself and your finances. I don't feel sorry for you if you've lost your house when your balloon payment came due or your interest rate suddenly shot up. You signed the paperwork and agreed to it. It isn't my fault, and yet here I am suffering the consequences.

Yes, I'm feeling sorry for myself today. And feeling pissed off. I've got a boat load of work to do this weekend, this holiday weekend, and now have to wonder why I bother. Why do I drop everything when they get themselves in a jam? Why do I go above and beyond? Why do I care? And how long will it take me to work my bonus back up to where it should have been? It got majorly cut when I went from full-time to part-time, but I worked harder and after about 8 years, was finally getting a decent bonus every year. Is this a one-time cut, or will it take me another 8 years to see a decent check again?

I know, I know, at least I still have a job. But dammit, I should still have a job, I've done nothing wrong.

6 comments:

Fatcat said...

Yes. I agree with everything you've said. The same week we got hit with the news that I lost my main accounts and would have to learn new ones, my husband will possibly be laid off in August and Cafepress cut my commissions by about 75% for NO REASON. I've made that company (Cafepress) probably at least 20,000 dollars with my designs and where did it get me? My commisions now are in the range of one dollar for each item I sell.

It sucks.

Obi-Mom Kenobi said...

If I didn't know better, I'd say you were living at my house. Right down to DW working overtime on a holiday weekend - salaried of course, so no over-time pay - putting out other people's fires.

SabrinaT said...

AMEN!! I spent a week with my father and can see the worry on his face. His job has been changed, as have his hours! He is now working more hours for less money.

At this point he is just happy to still have a job, now that he is raising my nephew he is worried about medical, and college all over again!

SabrinaT said...

AMEN!! I spent a week with my father and can see the worry on his face. His job has been changed, as have his hours! He is now working more hours for less money.

At this point he is just happy to still have a job, now that he is raising my nephew he is worried about medical, and college all over again!

Ami said...

I'm sorry.
It just sucks.

I'm horrified at the way things are going, and have zero confidence that the situation will improve any time in the near future.

We don't get bonuses anymore, we're just grateful that we're still employed.

Who knows how long that will last?

If we did not have children living at home, we would be living in a travel trailer... no mortgage/can dumpster dive.

I'm not kidding.

Mother Mayhem said...

HUGS.

Um... You gots balls?