Sunday, October 2, 2011

Week 2 in review

This was only our second week of full homeschooling and we barely made a dent in our things to do list. We had a lot of activities outside the house (orthodontist appt, doctor appt, book club, open swim, Girl Scouts, apple picking). I was still hoping to get more done. Then on Thursday I was sick. I had some kind of stomach thing. I didn't think I was going to be able to drive Violet to Girl Scouts. I felt better after laying on the couch and made it. But it wiped Thursday and Friday off for studies.

So we planned to do some make up on Saturday. Great plan! Mr. Incredible usually keeps himself busy, no problem. Except Violet woke up with a sore throat. I knew she didn't feel good when she wasn't her usual preteen grumpy self in the morning. Today she has a full-blown cold. We're reading Anne of Green Gables out loud, if she's up to it later I'll read her some. Otherwise, I think we have to scrap this week and start over next.

We did have some good accomplishments before the ickies invaded. We figured out that the new printer table is the perfect height for the microscope. When we set the microscope up on the dining room table it is too high for Violet to comfortably look in it. So we move the printer for a microscope table when we need it.

We also decided that she'd prefer to just practice typing than doing any more of the Mavis Beacon lessons. In the typing program we have there is practice typing from many, many great books. Violet is typing The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

We also instituted a chore chart. She got a raise in her allowance for the promise of helping more with housework. That worked okay, except she'd saved her once a week things until the end of the week when... she was sick. I swear she is just like her father! He manages to get out of things all the time too. Me, they just pile up and I have to do them anyway.

So we'll start fresh tomorrow. We have lots of outside activities again. This week is my annual gyne exam, another book club, more Girl Scouts, open swim with a friend, and we have tickets to the Jungle Book. We just need to feel better. I'm hoping we just got the winter ickies over with early.

2 comments:

Ami said...

Hope everyone is feeling better this week. Thing is, with homeschooling, learning doesn't have to be on a schedule. There is no 'behind'. Even for those who stick to a curriculum and lesson plans, there is always time to catch up.

Send Violet over here. I'll pay her 100 bucks just to clean up dog hair, fold and put away laundry and clean the bathroom.

Seriously.

Mother Mayhem said...

Hoping you both feel better! HUGS