Thursday, October 27, 2011

Back home from Disney World

We got back home Tuesday night. Mr. Incredible had come down with a nasty cold and a fever, so I drove the last leg home. I did pretty good too. Until I accidentally pulled off at a rest area that I didn't mean to. It was raining and dark and we were in construction and I got confused about which way the barriers were going. "Ooops, I didn't mean to do that!" apparently isn't something you want to hear from your driver. But since no one needed the facilities, I merged back onto to the interstate and we kept going.

Really, those cones they set up aren't always clear as to where the road is and isn't.

When we got home I backed into the drive way to unpack easier. I refused to pull all the way into the garage because I had a giant Mickey head balloon blocking my view. I figured after all that driving, my crashing into the side of the garage would be the one thing that would be remembered for years to come. The car stayed in the driveway overnight.

My food poisoning episode is completely over. By the time I was driving home I only had some lingering heart burn. But, man oh man, was I knocked out. I lost nearly 10 pounds! I always take Violet on the teacups when we go to Disney World, but couldn't this time. I told her it'd be like a blender with the lid off. Blech. I owe her a spin.

The first part of the trip was great! We had a great time. Rode lots of rides. Enjoyed ourselves. Swam in the pool. Soaked in the hot tub. On Sunday I was still rather ill, but pulled myself together to go to Epcot. We had tickets for a culinary demonstration by Elizabeth Faulkner, the chef/owner of Citizen Cake in San Francisco. She is so awesome! I bought her cookbook for her to sign afterward. She was really nice and posed with us (I made sure not to breathe on her, although I was quite certain I wasn't contagious). And she signed Violet's autograph book. She's competing on The Next Iron Chef starting Sunday on The Food Network. We'll be tuned in rooting for her.

After I had her sign my cookbook, I went back to the room and wrote my whining post about being better but still sick. I was miserable. I wanted so much to stay out and have fun and I just couldn't do it.

Since we've been back we've been unpacking, digging out, catching up and resting. I'm already trying to figure out when we can go back to Disney for a "do over".

6 comments:

Mel said...

Welcome back! Glad you had fun at least some of the time!

Anonymous said...

No more vacations for you, what with these illnesses and all!

But in all seriousness, at least the first part went well. That's great that you got to meet Elizabeth Faulkner and have her sign your cookbook! I'm sure it will be fun to watch her on TV with the knowledge that you've actually met her. :)

Ami said...

I can think of at least 20 ways I'd rather spend a vacation....

Glad you made it home safely.

Mother Mayhem said...

Glad the Incredibles made it home safely! HUGS.

Garden State Kate said...

awww..hope you feel better

Fatcat said...

"a blender with the lid off"

What a lovely mental picture that makes!

I'm glad you feel better now, but sorry about the middle part of your trip.