Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Cat Who Came for Christmas

I just started reading The Cat Who Came for Christmas by Cleveland Amory again. I read it years ago. I thought I owned it, but a couple of times I went looking for it, I couldn't find it. I own the second book, The Cat and the Curmudgeon. Over Thanksgiving we went to a library book sale in my in-laws home town and I found there and bought a copy. I had hoped to start it earlier, say before Christmas, but one thing led to another.

Anyway, I remembered liking the book, but I had forgotten just how good the book is. If you love cats, or animal rescue stories (or curmudgeon old men for that matter) and have never read it, you really should. And (spoiler alert) don't worry, it has a happy ending and isn't sad. Always something to beware of when reading true animal stories.

In brief, it is the true story of how Cleveland Amory came to adopt a cat on Christmas Eve. Amory is an animal rights activist, so some of his personal beliefs come through. Not everyone will agree with them. But hey, it is his story and his book, if you don't agree, write your own book. :)

Another spoiler alert, I once named a parakeet Polar Bird after the name the cat eventually gets. Something else I had forgotten until today. I wonder how much else I've forgotten during my adult life. Hmm. Something to ponder at the end of yet another year. What happened this year that I won't be able to remember by next year, or heck, by tomorrow.

I guess I won't worry about that, but sink happily into another year, and try to only remember good things.

3 comments:

MOM #1 said...

I don't remember anything either, I hope I remember to put that book on my library reserve list. It sounds good. I'm a big animal lover.

Mother Mayhem said...

Happy New Year! :o)

I am a cat lover and a bit of a curmudgeon myself.

Fatcat said...

I'll have to check that out. I named a cat after a literary character once, Annabel, after Annabel Winslow in Mary Stewart's book, The Ivy Tree, one of my all-time favorites.

More lately, I let the kids name the cats and the dogs have to be already house trained and at least a year old, so they come with names already. :-)