Monday, February 25, 2008

Back to class

Today is the first day back at class for NIU students. Getting back to their routines will be good. Last night they had a huge memorial service on campus. Mr. Incredible and I had talked about going. But such huge crowds were expected and it seemed like it would be a very long and boring night for Violet, we didn't go. We figured we could watch it through the streaming feed on the internet. Guess what? Our internet went out. It rarely goes out. So no memorial service feed. I haven't gone to their website yet to see if it is archived. I'm sure it is.

Some quick thoughts.

Banning the sale of guns to people who've sought help for mental and emotional problems is not the answer. It will keep too many from seeking help. And it is those who don't seek help we need to worry most about.

Allowing everyone to carry weapons is not the answer. There is no way you will ever in a million years convince me that there would have been anything but more bloodshed and loss of life in that auditorium if the students and instructors had all been armed too. Don't even try. Post about that in your own blog.

So what is the answer? I wish I knew.

3 comments:

Fatcat said...

I agree that none of those are the answer. I just don't think there is one, sad to say.

Anonymous said...

I don't think there's an answer either.

Wendy said...

I wish I knew the answer too. We had the shooting here at Delaware State (my sister works there) and now my hometown of Bridgewater, MA got a threat at the college there. Wha??? I have fond memories of Bridgewater State!

Violence of ANY sort is not the answer. I just wish people could see that, and that they could accept the help they need before it is too late.