Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Strange grocery lists

Have you ever gone to the grocery store and checked out with only a combination like: kitty litter, toilet paper and prune juice? I always wonder if the checkers think about it. Today Violet and I went to Walgreens and all we got was a battery operated Holly Hobbie toothbrush (for when she gets her braces off next week), toothpaste for me, and tartar control cat treats.

I went looking for toothpaste without sodium lauryl sulfate. I have a problem with recurrent canker sores. It seems I always have one. It affects my eating, speaking, gives me headaches. So I did some research this week (as I sat at my computer feeling miserable) and found that it is suspected that sodium lauryl sulfate might contribute to them. It is a detergent found in most toothpastes. All these years I brush my teeth more and more when I get these flare ups and it could be the toothpaste itself causing it! I was looking for a natural toothpaste, but those had the chemical. But Rembrant brand doesn't have it and even says it is formulated for "mouths prone to canker sores." (Of course, I saw that after I read the ingredients. Never take the easy route, do I?)

All these years I thought they were more stress related. But recently, my stress level dropped tremendously and I'm still getting them. I became determined to find a preventative measure. I'd previously read about avoiding caffeine, alcohol and spicy foods since they irritate them. But really, I can't avoid any of those. Let's face it. I have very little life. I'm not giving up salsa, coffee, chocolate, wine or salty foods! I have my limits. And I've read about the hormonal link, but that didn't seem to play out with me either.

I was really excited to read about the possible sodium lauryl sulfate link. I really hope this does it. The toothpaste I found still has fluoride in it. I really didn't want to exchange canker sores for a mouth full of cavities. Cross your fingers for me. I hope this works!

3 comments:

Daisy said...

I've done that before! ROFL

I've never heard of that evil ingredient in toothpaste. I've never had a canker sore either. Sounds pretty miserable. Hope you see a change! :o)

The Old Gray Mare said...

Both Blondie Boy and myself have several bouts a year with canker sores. I would be very interested to know if changing toothpaste works for you.

Fatcat said...

My mom was talking with a friend at the Kroger and almost accidently walked right out with the 2 items she had picked up. I asked her what the 2 items were and she said 'Bran Flakes and Fibercon"

Can you imagine the headlines? "Grandmother of 3 shoplifts Bran Flakes. More at 11."