Friday, November 9, 2012

Like the new look?

After my last post I was playing around with Blogger and decided to give Freakmom's Space a new coat of paint.  What do you think?  I kinda like it.  It fits me.

Let's see, yesterday was Volunteens.  Violet REALLY likes it.  On the way home she said she likes it better than the girls' club group she's in (that's the "extra" Girl Scout group she goes to).  She signed up for 2 times to go decorate the library.  One was to decorate for Christmas/winter holidays.  We're not 100% sure what the other decorating will be.  We think it is to do a bulletin board for the winter reading program.  We do know the day and time she's supposed to be there.  At least we have that down.

The kids worked on their storytime.  They chose a theme of "fish".  She said she had fun picking out books and they are doing a craft of fish in a fish bowl.  I think it is a paper craft, I'm not sure.  I'll try to get photos and post.  It isn't until the end of December though, so it will be awhile.  Violet isn't reading stories.  She wasn't comfortable with it at all.  But I'm so thrilled she's going and participating and having fun!

Today I called the karate studio we're thinking of having her join.  I spoke with one of the owners.  He was thrilled when I said who my dad was.  My dad learned from the same grand master as this guy did and Dad had his own studio for years.  Dad, Violet and I are going to the studio to watch a class, and then Violet will get to try a free class.  I'm going to try to find a time to get over there for her to sneak in and watch for a few minutes before then.  Their class dates directly overlap with activities we already have.  Unless we go later in the evening, and I'd rather not.  So I think Violet's pretty much made up her mind that if she likes the looks of karate, tennis is history after this session.  She'll know the basics and will be able to goof around in the park on a tennis court with friends.  That was her main goal.  I think she's also going to take a semester off from art and pick that up again late spring or summer. 

I'm glad things are falling into place slowly.

2 comments:

MOM #1 said...

Violet's social life sure has taken off! I'm glad she's really coming into her own and enjoying herself.

Mel said...

It looks pretty but I read your posts mainly in Google Reader but I do click over if I have a comment and see the site then. I'd like to get Bren involved in some type of volunteering but so far the things she is interested in have a minimum age requirement which is a bummer. Well, sounds like Violet is doing some pretty fun things lately, happy for her!