Sunday, October 28, 2012

Ironing Day

Tomorrow is Ironing Day for the Juliette Group at our house.  I've invited the girls to bring their sash or vest and any badges, journeys or patches that need to go on them and we'll set up the ironing board and give it a go.  The girls were starting to get a little less interested in the badges themselves although they still love the activities.  Then I learned it was because the badges just sit there and aren't getting on their sashes/vests.  Well, then, let's iron! 

Since we'll have the iron out, I decided we needed to do some iron related crafts.  I've bought them all a plain white pillow case, and I have transfer paper and pencils.  I brought out the designs we used for Shrinky Dinks last year.  And I got a great set of fabric markers.  The idea is they will trace their design choice on the transfer paper, use the transfer pencil on the other side, iron it onto the pillow case, and finally color in the design with the markers. 

When I got this out for testing, Violet started with it, then wanted to start drawing freehand with the markers on the pillow case.  Which is fine.  But doesn't take as long (and we have a 2 hour meeting to fill) and defeats the purpose of bothering to get the transfer paper and pencils.  She's cool with it for the meeting.  I think I'll ask the girls to all try at least one transfer method - and see if they come up with the idea to just draw on their own. 

The other craft I have is fuse beads.  But to make it more challenging, I found a website with a bunch of designs which are done on the fuse bead boards but don't fill the whole thing with random colors, like any preschooler might do.  The link takes you to the Halloween designs, they have a bunch more.  I printed out the Halloween and a bunch of animals for the girls to try.  They can just fill the shapes with colors, but these look like more fun.





Here's a sample of what I mean from the website.  The website has all sorts of great projects!

The girls have been invited to wear their Halloween costumes if they choose.  The sister pair have decided not to due to ironing issues, floppy sleeves and such.  Violet and I are going to wear ours (I'm going as the Swedish Chef in my chef jacket and hat, I made a little red bowtie, and I have a small rubber chicken key chain and little pot, so I can "put the chicky chicky in the pot".  You already saw Violet's costume.)  If the other girls don't wear theirs I told Violet we can change if we want.

One of the girls may bring a birthday treat.  Her mom asked if they could a few weeks ago, but didn't want to commit just in case life got out of control.  I think we all totally get that!  Smart move, I say!  I didn't mention it to the girls, and since we don't always do snacks no one will miss it if there isn't one.  And if there is...bonus!  (Their family owns an Italian restaurant, I'd be over the moon if they brought their homemade cannoli, but I'm not getting my hopes up.  If you ever visit, I'll take you to their restaurant and we'll get them.  YUM!  And I don't even like cannoli!)

Have a great week!

3 comments:

Ami said...

Awesome fuse bead projects, my kids love doing them! Thanks for the link.

Have fun ironing... that's something that I do NOT love.

craft project ideas said...

Thanks for linking to our site! Explore some more. we have lots of Melty Bead designs shown on our pegboards to duplicate easily!

Mel said...

B went through a huge Hama bead phase a few years ago and we still hang all the Christmas ornaments she made on the tree every year. I bought a book with tons of holiday and other designs. I kind of miss doing them. It's rather therapeutic.