Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Quilt

Violet made her quilt last week.  They added an extra class session so that the girls could finish them.  Violet's turned out magnificent!  She chose all her materials and did all the sewing herself.  With the instructor's guidance, of course.  Here it is on her bed:



And in this photo our cat, Preki, was kind enough to pose with it so that you could see the backing she chose:


Preki is the cat that hasn't been eating much.  We got some kitten chow for her and she does pick at that.  She has energy, is taking good care of her fur, and still has her old spunk.  She just barely eats.

But back to the quilt.  Violet has already said that if they offer quilt class again next summer she wants to go and do another one.  In the meantime, she has a few projects planned out, but hasn't started yet.  She did spend 25 hours working on the quilt for a total of 61 hours of class time this summer (I'm giving her a full credit of sewing on her 8th grade transcript.  By the time you add in travel time to the offsite class, which I fully believe public schools would do, time spent purchasing her material and planning other projects, she'll have a full credit earned).  I can see where maybe she's ready for a break from it.


5 comments:

Gail said...

The quilt is beautiful!

And the cat is beautiful, too!

Ami said...

That is a gorgeous quilt! I think Violet shows real talent with her sewing and I'm envious.

I haven't done a lot of sewing in my life, although I can make great Halloween Costumes. :)

It's been awhile, though, since the kids grew up and no longer need me to sew for them.

Cute kitty. I'm not able to have a cat due to family allergies.

My sanctimonious prick of a brother is allergic to them, which would be a GREAT reason to get one, that way he won't stop by when he's in town.

Unfortunately, my son is allergic, too.

Fatcat said...

So pretty!

Anonymous said...

Oh, the quilt is so pretty! I really like it very much. One of the things I know I cherish most are the hand-made quilts people have given me over the years (whether for me or my son). They make such wonderful gifts.

I really love the patterns Violet chose and how she pieced them together!

Preki also looks like she's in good shape. It sounds like as long as she's eating and otherwise taking care of herself, and her bloodwork is normal, she's fine. :)

Mother Mayhem said...

Awesome job, Violet! Purple is one of my favorite colors. Preki looks better modeling the quilt than I would though... TeeHee. =)

Ollie prefers smaller cat food too. I think he's showing his age a little.