Thursday, July 12, 2012

The skirts

I've made 2 so far.  I hope to get another done this weekend.



The purple one was the first one.  I think I like it better.  The material isn't quite as thin and it just seems more me.  You can decide.



When did I get so chunky?  Yipes!

My original idea when I made these was to wear with the company shirts.  I hate wearing the shirts with slacks.  I feel like I'm dressed just like the guys, because I am.  I am not a guy.  As Anne Burrell might say (she probably wouldn't, but maybe) "I'm a kick ass girl accountant."  (I recently heard her refer to herself as a "kick ass girl chef" and decided I wanted to "borrow" it.)  Anyway...

The black shirt works okay with both:


But, man, the green one is just impossible:


I don't think anyone can possibly look good in that shade of green.  My next skirt is a khaki "bottomweight twill".  I'm not exactly sure what that is (and apparently Blogger doesn't know either).  But it looks and feels just like what I refer to as khaki pants.  If that works, I'm going back to Joann armed with coupons and getting some black bottomweight twill and some dark brown and do 2 final skirts.  And if after trying to sew the twill for 20 minutes I'm ready to throw it in the trash, I'll try something else.

Hope you enjoyed my fashion show!

5 comments:

Gail said...

I especially like the purple one, but they both look nice.

You should see the green shirts Rick has for work. Yeesh, what is it with companies wanting their employees to wear bizarre green shirts?

I love sewing with twill. You can steam iron the snot out of it to help shape it the way you want. Also, it doesn't creep around all funky -- it tends to stay where you put it. On the other hand, it might be sort of bulky with the elastic -- no clue about that There's one they have called Wrinkle Ease (I think -- or something like that) that's more expensive and narrower, but it does look nicer and feel softer.

Okay, that was a wall o' text. Oops.

Ami said...

That green is truly god-awful. Ugh.

Our company has been pondering colors etc... and I'm scared to death they're going to decide we need to wear the dumb assed polo shirts that some of the big wigs have been wearing.

The skirts are nice.. I like the purple flowery one the best.
:)

Mel said...

I admire your sewing skills. It's something I lack. I like the purple one best. Unlike most, I actually love the green shirt! I'm trying to think the last time I wore a skirt or dress....I think it was 10 years ago. I'm not very girly. LOL

Fatcat said...

I actually kind of like the green with the purple. It looks like spring.

Very cute skirts and good job sewing them. I don't think I could ever get the hems straight. You should see the curtains I made for my daughter's room before she took over sewing everything. :-)

Mother Mayhem said...

I'm so proud of you! =)