Sunday, July 8, 2012

In a nutshell

I'm such a bad blogger, I'm so behind.  I've been goofing off this summer...and it feels great!  Here are some highlights:

1.  I made a skirt!!!  I sewed it all by myself.  Well, Violet threaded my sewing machine for me.  Then, guess what!  I made another skirt!!!  I'll post photos of them soon.  My thought was that the men at trade shows all wear their company shirts with slacks or khakis.  So we women do too.  What nonsense is that?  I don't want to look like a man!  So I made skirts to go with my company shirts.  Today I bought some khaki material to try to make a skirt with.  Because once in a while we do have a written dress code to follow (suit or company shirt and khakis).  The skirts turned out okay.  Not perfect.  I had to redo steps numerous times.  But the more I sewed the better I got.  I'm still a beginner, but hey I MADE TWO SKIRTS!!!

2.  Violet turned 13.  Gasp, I HAVE A TEENAGER!!!!  She's a great teenager.  We had a nice family day together.  She has a party planned on Friday with her best friend.  They'll have fun.

3.  It was hot.  It was over 100 for 5 days straight.  It doesn't get that hot here!  And the grass and the flowers and the garden have practically all turned to dust.  Some of our plants have just disappeared.  I'm guessing spontaneous combustion.  That or rabbits.

4.  Our oldest cat has stopped eating, or practically.  We've gotten her to eat some ham, some KFC (she likes original recipe) and some kitty Ensure we got from the pet store (it isn't called that, but it describes it well).  Her energy level has been back up since we brought home the KFC and she had some of that.  Then we got her to eat the other stuff.  She turns 15 next month.  We're keeping a close eye on her.

5.  We've been going to movies as a family.   Well, twice now.  That's more than we've ever done.  We saw Brave and Madagacar 3.  We have plans to go to the new Ice Age movie in a couple of weeks.  There's a theater just around the corner from Mr. Incredible's office so we go there.  Quite a fun outing.

6. Violet was supposed to have a drawing class this week but it was canceled due to low enrollment.  We'll look for other classes with the instructor this fall at the art studio where she took jewelry class.  He teaches there as well as at the Kids and College program.  Bummed on the cancellation, but she's been so busy this summer, I really don't mind her having a week off.

I'm sure I've missed a lot, but those are some highlights. 

4 comments:

Ami said...

Busy! And the heat just sucks the life out of a person. I hate, hate hate the heat. UGHHHHH.

Sorry you have to 'dress' for your job, but I understand. One more reason I didn't apply for the recent opening in our company that people encouraged me to apply for.

I am exactly where I want to be.

I love to sew little projects, but I haven't done a lot of sewing since the days of Halloween Costumes.

I heard Brave was pretty good. I'll wait for the DVD.

Anonymous said...

That's great! I don't even know how to use a sewing machine, so you've got a skill that most of us don't!

Happy Birthday to Violet. :)

Ick, I really do wish I could send our weather over there to the U.S.

Poor kitty... I also have a 15-year-old, so I know how it is to keep a close eye on them.

I had to sit through "Madagascar 3" for my son. Bah! The penguins made it somewhat tolerable. ;)

But hubby and I just saw "Brave" yesterday and really enjoyed it.

Fatcat said...

Wow. 13. Where does the time go?

It was 108 degrees here on Sunday.

Thank goodness it's cooled off some now.

Gail said...

i'm so sorry about your cat. But the rest of the stuff sounds great!

I'd love to hear more about the skirts. Did you use a pattern? I just got Sew What, Skirts from the library. I hope to try some ideas out after the current craziness (making costumes for Beauty and the Beast Jr.) is over.

We had 8 days straight over 100, topping out around 108. We were out in it way too much.