Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Making of a Skirt: A Photo Journal

I made the khaki skirt on Saturday and knew you'd all want to come along on the journey!  So grab your favorite beverage, get comfy and here we go....

Prepping that material:


I forgot to take a picture with all the pieces pinned and laid out.  But here's one sleeve.  I hate pinning and cutting out the pattern pieces most of all.  I'm not sure why.  I do tend to poke myself with pins a lot during the process, but I do that throughout the sewing process.


Pieces that have been cut out:


The first pocket sewn and basted into place:


Both pockets are in:


The casing for the elastic.


Finally, got that blasted casing on!  I think I had to redo it 3 times if not more.  I had trouble first with getting one of the pockets caught up in it (rookie mistake), then I ran into all sorts of problems with the thread tension.  Finally, I got it to turn out okay.


I wasn't happy with how bunchy it was by one of the pockets.  But I'd had such a time I wasn't going to redo it AGAIN!  I plan to wear shirts untucked with it anyway.  And if anyone is looking at it that closely while I'm wearing it, I'll punch them.  I did do another skirt (yes, #4!) on Sunday and I kicked pocket butt!  Smooth and gorgeous.


Working on the elastic:


Still working on it. 


Finally, done.  Look at that BEAUTIFUL slit!  I'm really proud of it, it looks the best of all the ones I did.  The purple dots (you can see if them if you enlarge it) and from my sewing marker, I washed them off today.  And the water spots were from spraying and ironing.  They're gone too.


Voila!  The finished project.  Done all on Saturday.  No photo of me wearing it because Mr. Incredible and Violet have been gone all weekend and aren't home yet (hence my ability to sew 2 skirts in one weekend). 


There you have it.  My beautiful khaki skirt.  I think it will make its debut on Tuesday with the black shirt.  I have to go to training for 2 days this week (don't get me started on that waste of time) and thought it would be nice.  I'll wear it with my new black sandals.

4 comments:

Gail said...

Wild applause!!

Anonymous said...

Great job!

I love that khaki goes with anything. Granted, I know you were making it to go with work shirts, but you can still wear it with most anything else, which is always nice. More mileage. ;)

Way to go - you have far more patience than many, many people!

MOM #1 said...

I think it looks GREAT! You are turning out a skirt a day . . . you'll have a whole collection before you know it.

Mother Mayhem said...

It'll make the green shirt look great! Miss you!