Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head

It has rained practically non-stop for weeks now.  Everything is flooded.  My phone keeps getting flood warning alerts.  (I'll have to tell you about my new smart phone, I finally joined the rest of the world - but don't tell Violet I said that, she claims she's the only one on the planet without a cell phone at all.)  The backyard is soggy.  The bird feeder has an inch of water in it.  The fields all have ponds in them.

Today it was thunderstorms with hail.  Lots of lightning.  Huge thunderboomers (for those of you native Chicagoans).  So what did we do?  We headed out into it all with our umbrellas and tried to see the taping of Restaurant Impossible.  We did see it.  We spotted Robert and Tom both in the restaurant they were rehabbing.  We saw their tents and crews.  So far they hadn't taken the stuff out and we have no idea where they are going to put it.  Perhaps when Mr. Incredible gets home from work he'll have an update.

So there we were standing in the park across from the restaurant, under trees, with umbrellas.  BOOM!  We went to a used bookstore.  Violet scored some Sisters Grimm books she's been trying to find.  We stood under the awning with a bunch of other people debating what to do.  We went for it and walked around the square, peering in the restaurant.  BOOM!  We walked a little faster through puddles and raging waters on the sidewalks and streets.  Then Violet and I went home and Mr. I. went back to work.  Shoes, socks, jeans all soaked through.

Was it worth it?  You bet!  Because you know that story is going to get built up over the years until we practically have Robert and Tom stopping by our house for coffee and cookies.  Wish the weather were better for it.  But hey, if you watch the show, you know the weather always stinks on the days the rehab a restaurant!

BOOM!

2 comments:

Fatcat said...

Cool! Sounds like fun. I'd like to hear the embellished story sometime :-)

Only my oldest son has a cell phone. For us, it's something that comes with driving.

SabrinaT said...

I have been reading your blog for years and had no idea you were in IL! How did I miss that..

We just moved to IL. We are now planted in Lindenhurst. Does it EVER warm up here? Will I ever see the sun again, or be able to wear shorts?