Monday, April 15, 2013

Books

I have been reading a lot lately.  No, I mean A LOT.  I think I am escaping reality.  Okay, so no my reality isn't that bad.  But dammit, I've worked so hard, played the rules, did everything like I was supposed to, and now I just see it all going away.  Why did I bother?  And I don't see any end in sight.  I'm going to be working like this for years.  Probably until I drop dead.  There will be no retirement for me.  No social security check or Medicare benefits.  Those will all be used up and driven into the ground by the buttheads who call themselves our representatives.

Yeah, I'm bitter.

So at night, I sit and read.  And read.  This year I got the idea from some fellow bloggers to track the books I read in 2013.  I read their "50 books in 2012" or "100 books in 2012" posts and thought, that would be fun but I'd get no where near that!  Well, April 15th and I have completed 22 books so far.  Some were personal, some were homeschool related read alouds, some were for Abigail Adams Academy.  And I have another 5 books in process.  (Reading multiple books at once is a habit, good or bad you decide, I picked up over at Abigail Adams.)

You'll see patterns there, like I've recently discovered the joy of Stephanie Plum novels.  And that Edith Nesbit is our current read aloud selection.  But this is where I've been since January 1st:

1    The Good Earth,  Pearl S. Buck
2    Being Washington,  Glenn Beck
3    Martha Washington: An American Life,  Patricia Brady
4    You Learn By Living,   Eleanore Roosevelt
5    One for the Money,  Janet Evanovich
6    Grand Finale,  Janet Evanovich
7    Two for the Dough,  Janet Evanovich
8    The First Ladies,  Margaret Truman
9    The Enchanted Castle,  E. Nesbit
10    The Five Children and It,  E. Nesbit
11    Three to Get Deadly,  Janet Evanovich
12    Why Leaders Can't Lead,  Warren Bennis
13    Great Son,  Edna Ferber
14    The Phoenix and the Carpet,  E. Nesbit
15    Four to Score,  Janet Evanovich
16    Man's Search for Meaning,      Viktor E. Frankl
17    The Four Agreements,  Miguel Ruiz
18    Queer Little Folks,  Harriet Beecher Stowe
19    High Five,  Janet Evanovich
20    The Kingdom Keepers,  Ridley Pearson
21    The Story of the Amulet,  E. Nesbit
22    Chomp,  Carl Hiaasen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading is good. Every night, I read for a half-hour to an hour. Well, if I can keep my eyes open that long. Baby girl sort of sucks the life out of me. ;)

I love "The Four Agreements". It's been a long time since I read it, so maybe I'll revisit it. I've been seeing it around quite a bit lately.

Mother Mayhem said...

I'm currently reading Rod Stewart's autobiography. Escaping reality? =)

Mel said...

I read the most when I'm depressed or troubled. I read tons 2010-2012. This year none so far which is rather odd for me. I guess I must be in a better mood than usual this year. Who knows.