Saturday, June 23, 2012

An Update

Today I realized it has been a week since I promised you all an update and I still haven't given it to you.  I'm sorry!  Well, there's no time like the present.

This past week Violet took her third sewing class:  drawstring bag.  She made 2 bags during the class that they had hoped all the girls would finish just one.  It isn't just Violet, the other girls in the class are just blowing the minds of the sewing shop owners and the instructor.  They are looking to do advanced classes for them next summer. 

One of the girls who has been in all three classes had her 10th birthday this week.  Her mom got all the girls in the class material to make snap bags. They are little purses with measuring tape (you know the metal kind) as the closure so it "snaps". 

By Friday, Violet was almost done with her second bag so the instructor let her decide what to do.  Violet opted to use some of the leftover material from her bags to make scrunchies.  They turned out great!  Can you even buy scrunchies in the store any more?  We were looking for some while on vacation last year and couldn't find any.


The first drawstring bag
The second drawstring bag

The Scrunchies


The snap bag

In some ways the girls aren't getting the full flavor of sewing.  The instructor does all their cutting for them with a rotary cutter.  She has offered to teach Violet how to use it during quilt class in July (yes, one more class to go!) but she's said she doesn't want some of the other girls using it.  I've never used a rotary cutter and they sure do look nifty.  But I'm thinking she needs to try a pattern and hand cutting.  Of course, that is how she did Barbie's dress I posted.  She took the dimensions from the sewing book, drew it on graph paper, cut it out and pinned it on the material and cut from there.  Never mind, she's doing that part on her own.

I was back at work this week.  I did not adjust well to my return.  I didn't have a relaxing time off because of things going on there and didn't feel ready to go back.  I'd like to complain more, but I can't.  I'll leave it as, "if it was fun, they wouldn't call it work."

The sewing classes are in the downtown square where Mr. Incredible has his office space.  That has been very handy.  I've taken over his back room as my office.  One day he wasn't going to be there and I didn't want to mess with the alarm system so I spent class time running errands.  I checked out a new thrift store and bought Violet some material.  I'll take her back to it, the place was huge!

It has been hot and muggy.  Often June is pretty cool around here.  It has me worried about August!

I'm afraid that's about it.  I've been helping out with Abigail Adams Academy here and there, and doing a lot of reading on my own.  This morning I cleaned the first floor.  Tomorrow the upstairs awaits its cleaning.  I've also completed writing our 8th grade curriculum, but I think I'll do a full post on that.  Gotta keep them wanting more!

1 comment:

Ami said...

Violet is doing a beautiful job on her projects. I haven't seen any scrunchies lately in stores, but I haven't been looking for them, either.

I suppose this would not be the time to say that my work mostly IS fun.

Of course I will never make a living at it. We'd starve if my salary was all we had.