Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Sewist

Violet took her first sewing class last week.  It was held at a sewing store about a block from Mr. Incredible's office.  They learned to make pillowcases.  She made three in the three-day class (actually she almost finished #3, she finished it here at home today).  They are amazing.


She is quite the sewist. I had never heard that term before, and apparently Blogger isn't familiar with it either. But the ladies from the sewing store all use it. This weekend we got out my sewing machine. Violet helped me clean and oil it. And she showed me several things on it I had no idea were there! Yes, she has already bested my sewing ability. Gail gave us a lot of great advice! Thank you!!!  I found the book she recommended at our library and we checked it out. And we went to our Joann and just browsed for a while. Tomorrow Violet starts a class to make a pillow cover.  We went to the store and she chose her material last Friday.  There will be photos when she's done with it.

She also has an illustration class starting tomorrow.  It is with the same wonderful instructor she had last year.  It will be a busy week, but she's really looking forward to it.  I have the week off from work.  I just didn't need more stress on top of getting her to 2 separate classes in 2 different towns. 

I almost forgot, Violet also got out my old book Miss Patches Learn to Sew Book, and made a Barbie dress from it.  Violet admitted it looks a little like a hospital gown.  The ribbon helps lose that look a lot.  Barbie posed with the sewing machine, so maybe you'll think she made the dress herself (per Violet).  There is an evening gown for Barbie in the works, but we need elastic.  I'll get her some tomorrow from the sewing store.

6 comments:

Ami said...

The pillowcases are great, terrific colors! I've never heard sewist either, I suspect it will make its way into the lexicon like google and other words I can't think of at 5:30 in the morning.

Barbie looks quite proud of her gown, and so what if it IS sort of hospital-y? Those can be quite comfy (as long as no one is looking at your back... I see Barbie cleverly posed with her back to a solid object.)

Nice job, Violet!

Fatcat said...

cool. I think my daughter is going to do the sewing class through 4H next year. She thinks she already knows everything about it, but I think there's always a bit more to learn. :-)

The pillowcases are really pretty!

Fatcat said...

cool. I think my daughter is going to do the sewing class through 4H next year. She thinks she already knows everything about it, but I think there's always a bit more to learn. :-)

The pillowcases are really pretty!

Donna said...

Violet did a fantastic job on her sewing projects!! Can't wait to see more of her creations : )

MOM #1 said...

I love the pillowcases. Y'all can get a few yards of fabric and knock out all of your Christmas gifts. I love all things pink, and have king sized pillows, in case you need to know! ;-)

Violet looks so grown up. Simply beautiful! Where the heck does the time go?

Mel said...

They are really cute! She did a great job!