Saturday, June 9, 2012

The end of 7th grade

I'm behind in posting, so I thought I'd spend a little time and write a post on each of several topics.  Today's topic is the end of 7th grade.

I wish we could have done a big finale celebration, but instead we kind of crawled to the finish line and just stopped.  We did a marathon reading of A History of Us to finish book 10.  We're going back to ancient history in the fall, so it made no sense to save 1/4 of the last book for then. 

We also did a sprint to finish the Botany Unit study, then we even set some experiments aside to do in the fall.  We spent a weekend cleaning up the garden and planting some seeds.  I hope they grow.  And if they grow, I hope the rabbits don't eat the plants.

Supposedly math is going into the summer.  So far, it doesn't look good for actually getting any math done.  I think her summer schedule is just too busy.  We'll see.  If she's busy learning and doing stuff, I don't mind letting it slide at all.  If she is sitting around bored and not wanting to get up and DO something, then we'll push it.

So we kind of petered out with school.  Which made for some awkward conversations when well meaning (busy bodies) asked her if she was done with school yet and she answered, "sort of."  Because she was "sort of" done.  Really, I wish adults wouldn't try to make small talk with kids.  "Got the day off from school?" makes me want to smack people!

We were mostly done by May 25th, and completely done by June 1st.

And I think, like 7th grade, this post is just sort of petering out.  We're done.  8th grade is a summer away.  And we are both firmly in summer mode.

2 comments:

Mel said...

We are still plugging away, too much we didn't complete this year and next year has a whole new plan and vibe going on so we are working through June and probably July. We also plan to do ancient history in the fall although I am conflicted about what we're going to use.

Ami said...

A raised eyebrow and, "School? No, no thinking individual should ever be in school." seems to shut them up.

And as for the 'quizzers' (and I think we have all run into them... 'oh, what are you learning in your homeschool? Do you know what one plus one is???') well, you say, "I'm surprised you don't know the answer to that!!"

Learning can and does happen in all sorts of ways and in amazing and diverse places and it's nice not to be confined for it. :)

Happy End of 7th to you and Violet!