Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Week From Heck

No, I'm not opposed to saying "hell", it just hasn't been quite bad enough to call it that. At least not from my desk chair. Maybe from Mr. Incredible's.

Monday was good. The Juliette's did a great job making their Linus blankets. I was impressed that they got them done in one meeting.

Violet has had allergy problems this week. Lots of sniffling and snuffiness. But it is just allergies, like many folks are suffering from.

Tuesday I left home at 6 am. Got to the client by 8. Met some of the bigwigs. And a medium-wig I've worked with over the phone and via e-mail but never in person. I think I did a pretty good job speaking-wise. I did rush through my last section a bit too much. But gosh when 48 eyeballs are just staring at you, and you took a lunch break halfway through your spiel, it is easy to get off track.

We did get home earlier than expected. My boss opted to cut things short based on the audience. The audience agreed. Boss and I were both happy to go home early. It has been busy times lately.

Wednesday, Violet made her pralines for Cadettes, it was her regional food to share for the New Cuisines badge. And she got her Easter treats ready to distribute. And worked on her assignment about a Girl Scout meeting in the future. I took her to Jewelry class at 4. As I was walking out of the art studio, Mr. I. calls me. He's got a client with major issues. He needs to be there all day Thursday. I need to be at my office all day Thursday. I spend the next 2 hours on the phone. Between my mom, the Cadette Mom (who was also at the art studio - and who was hosting the Cadette meeting Thursday) and me, we come up with a solution. Mom spends the night. Meets up with Cadette mom before the meeting, who takes Violet for the afternoon. Then someone (me or Mr. I, we don't know yet at that point) will pick her up at three.

So this morning (Thursday) I get up and go to the office. Mr. I gets up and goes to the client. Grandma and Violet get up, hang around, have fun, and after lunch meet up with Cadette mom. At the office I get dragged from one meeting to another, do a training session I'm hopelessly unprepared for (luckily I know the material, I'm just not organized for it) and call Mr. I at 1:00. He's still tied up. Boss lady says no problem, take off at 2 to go get Violet. She moves my agenda items to the top of the 1:30 meeting. I do my thing. I pack up and leave at 2, by 3 I'm pulling up to the Cadette meeting just as it is wrapping up. Like clockwork. As if the whole thing was planned out from the beginning just like that.

What a nightmare. But I get home 3 hours earlier than I expected. I didn't have to miss my Classic Moms class like I thought I might. And Violet didn't have to miss her Cadette meeting which was the goal of all of us. Whew.

I wish my office weren't so far away (an hour with no traffic, rush hour count on an hour forty-five each way). That would make it easier. Or if I didn't have to work at all. That would be nice. Or if I had regular child care, which I don't because I don't need it too frequently. Thank goodness my mom could step in.

Now comes my trip out of town next week. I leave about 1:00 on Monday afternoon and don't get back until late Tuesday evening. I'm going to call my mom tomorrow and start discussing options in case Mr. I has another client emergency. Which seems to happen a lot. Not his fault. And he can't very well say, no client, I'm a brand new business and I need your work, but I'll deal with you later. But I still need to make arrangements for Violet if he can't be there. She's too young to stay that long by herself, and doesn't want to. And she can't drive yet.

So, that has been the week from heck. (I forgot to mention, I thought I had a crack in my windshield this morning. It felt like it. I was afraid to mess with it and crack the whole thing. Mr. I. took more time with it and guess what? It washed off! It was nasty sap or something. Not a crack. I love it when I am wrong for the good.) I think Violet and I are hiding out at home tomorrow (actually I'm now way behind with work I have to get some stuff done). And Mr. Incredible is hoping to work from home. I don't think any of us want to leave again soon.

1 comment:

Gail said...

Hurray for moms that can step in when needed, and also for bosses that move agendas so you can leave early! I'm glad it all worked out. Now kick back and relax for a while!