Sunday, April 15, 2012

checkerboards and disbanding


Today I taught myself how to knit in checkerboard. I think it turned out pretty good for a first try. It is about 3 inches square. I gave it to Violet for the Barbies or other dolls or stuffed animals. I'm sure one of them will have a use for it.

For my next project I'm going to make a patchwork afghan. I'm going to knit a bunch of 12" by 12" squares and stitch them together. It is another project from the Kids Knitting book.

Tomorrow is Juliettes. So today I cleaned the house and got ready for them. Every other week I clean the downstairs whether it needs it or not. Actually, as I was typing this I realized I forgot to clean the powder room. I'll have to do that when I'm done here.

I think our local homeschool group is going to finally fold. It has been threatening to for several years now. We are a chapter of the state group. We have a Yahoo group. But that is it. We haven't had an activity or event in years. Most of us have older kids who have their own friends and activities. We aren't looking for playmates. We haven't advertised for new members and haven't gotten any. We moms have our own support networks. Other than being part of the state group, there isn't any point of the group. We have a call out to our members that if no one responds that they want the group to stay active within a week, we're closing the doors. I'm investigating member at large options because I want to still be a part of the state group and I suspect a few others will too. But I don't want to take on the task of saving the group. I did that once about two years ago and again about 7 years ago. I had support those times. I don't think that support is still there. I'll be sad to see it go, but I think the time has come to pull the plug.

Time to stop stalling and clean the toilet. Things just keep getting more and more glamorous, don't they?

1 comment:

Ami said...

It was really strange for me a few years ago when I realized that I could no longer identify myself as a homeschooling mom, as that had been the center of my existence for a long time.

You move on. It's not bad, just... different.

Glad you have your network of friends etc... better than a support group online for sure.

Can you come clean my toilet, too? I will give you some crafty supplies...