Monday, September 5, 2011

The problem with homeschooling

We're starting out 8th year of homeschooling and I finally found one problem with it. Since we weren't going back to school, we didn't buy back-to-school clothes, which is when families buy fall/winter clothes. The temperature dropped 20 degrees in the last 2 days and left Violet with no long pants that fit her. I suppose you could argue that wasn't homeschooling's fault, it was parental error, but I don't. :)

So off we went to Wally World today. We found her 3 pairs of jeans and one pair of denim capris. Hopefully that will tide her over for a bit. I was relieved that girl's size 16 jeans fit her. I am dreading the switch to junior's for jeans. The price, the styles, trying to find ones that are long enough but still skinny enough, it all scares me. For now, I've avoided it.

Although it was technically a holiday today, we did a little school work. We played with the prepared slides we bought at American Science and Surplus yesterday. Violet started her next book club book, "The Shakespeare Stealer." And we started some reading and watched a DVD on the Dewey Decimal system, a requested elective of Violet's. I'm expecting tomorrow to be busy for me with work, so I don't think we'll get much done.

3 comments:

Fatcat said...

We're in the stage where some things I buy for my daughter are still from the little girls department (usually only tops or shorts) and some things are from the junior department and some are from the women's department. It's like, welcome to the whole, entire store ... I hope you have a few hours to kill ...:-)

Ami said...

Another thing we avoided by Goodwill Hunting.

But of course homeschooling is just FRAUGHT with troubles, so many children with no social skills.

Tsk tsk.

Mel said...

We are in that same transition mode also, picking and choosing from the whole darn store. She is officially out of little girl sizes though so its mostly going through womens and juniors at places like JCPenney. She still fits in size 18/20 from Justice For Girls so for now I rely heavily on that. It's just hard, she is 5'6" and 105 pounds, she's so NARROW with long legs, her inseam is now 34" almost as long as her dad who is a 36. Her torso is short and she's all leg. Pants are a nightmare.