Sunday, September 18, 2011

Home again, home again

And home for a while now. No more long work trips until next May! Hooray!! I love going on the trips, but it puts a strain on life at home. Mr. I and Violet are good about it all, but it is just so much more routine to be here.

The trip was good. Definitely less stressful than the last one. It really helped that there were so many of us from the office there. And lots of others that we know.

Most nights I slept pretty good. I never used to be able to sleep well on the road, but I must be getting used to it. The worst night was the night before I had to speak. Of course! I woke up several times during the night. The worst was at 5:30 in the morning. I heard sirens outside. Then the thermostat in my room started to make a hissing noise. Only I didn't know it was the thermostat at first, I had to turn on the light and figure it out. THEN I started thinking it must be hissing because the hotel must be on fire and that's what the sirens were. I was mentally laying out my shoes, coat and purse to take with me when the fire alarms would go off any second. I finally figured out that by changing the heat/cool setting on the thermostat the hissing would stop. Still no fire alarms, so I went back to bed, but didn't sleep for a while.

Turns out that the thermostats frequently hiss. It is a really old hotel and it shows. But no evacuation. No fire. And the conference went on. But I continued to hear a lot of sirens on the stay. What on earth do they do in downtown Peoria all night long?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How lucky you were to sleep well on the road! I seem to always have a hard time sleeping in a strange bed. Heh.

Why are nights before big or important events always so difficult, though? I get that too. ;)

Ami said...

I sleep best at home. Just one more reason that's where I prefer to be when it's time to settle in for the night.

I do anxiety. I've taken it to an art form, really. I doubt there's anyone who does it better.

And I take xanax when I begin obsessing and not sleeping. Most times, my only regret was not taking it a couple hours sooner.

Glad you're home safe. :)

Gail said...

Yep, The Case of the Hissing Thermostat. Which is a twin to The Case of the A/C Unit That Clunks Every Time It Comes On. I sympathize.

And, yeah, sirens in Peoria? Really? What WERE they doing there? I always thought it was just a dull little town.