Monday, June 28, 2010

The Puffer Fish Bites, and other things I've learned lately

What I have learned so far this summer:

1. The Puffer Fish bites. I don't know if all puffer fish bite, but the one that lives in the tank in the lobby at the pool where Violet swims bites. The ladies working there had to do a big production of distracting Dolly, the puffer fish, while another fished out part of the tank lid that accidentally fell in while the fish were being fed. Don't worry, Dolly never swims in the pool with the kids. And they don't swim with her either.

2. In Illinois you cannot touch a deli slicer unless you are 18 years old. Violet learned that today in her culinary class. She's taking an appetizers class through Kids and College at our local community college. Her class is taught by one of the instructors in their culinary program. The kids call the instructor "chef" and use the equipment in a real professional kitchen. But not the deli slicer, they are all 10-12 years old and have a few years to go before that. They made "taco boats" today and I got some samples. They were good. Can't wait for the BLT Canapies tomorrow.

Gosh, I guess that's it. I thought I'd come up with more. Well, it is still June, there's more time to learn I guess. I've been traveling for work again. I visited Lansing, Michigan this time. Nice city, what little I saw of it. Ate some good food. Stayed in a nice hotel. We're going to Detroit in August. I think I might take Mr. Incredible and Violet for that one.

I've been trying to get ready for 6th grade in the fall. And doing the reading for the Classic Moms class. I am really liking the Thomas Jefferson education model. Are we changing to it? No. But I think we do already use a lot of principles of it. And I think it is a really good fit for a highly sensitive child, which is Violet to a T.

Summer has been hot, humid and rainy. We've had a lot of storms, but nothing compared to Central Illinois. This is the first week with no rain predicted. Although it sure looked like it would rain this afternoon.

I missed the whole first round of the World Cup. I did see the second U.S. game, and the England v. Germany game. I sort of watched Argentina v. Mexico. Lots of bad calls, but honestly, I'm not sure I am for the use of instant replays for the calls. Soccer is a very traditional sport and doesn't like change. I could agree that no replay use would stick to the tradition.

Gotta go see if there are any taco boats left....

3 comments:

Mother Mayhem said...

Taco boats sound yummy. So do BLT canapies. Gotta share the recipes!

MOM #1 said...

What's a taco boat? Is it just a taco? I like tacos.

Our summer has been hot, but not as hot as last summer . . . which almost killed me . . . so I'm doing fine. Apparently my standards are "don't kill me." LOL.

It seems like everyone is taking a blogging break, so you enjoy yours and I'll continue to enjoy mine. ;-)

Mother Mayhem said...

I miss you! RAWR.