Wednesday, August 15, 2007

lacking depth

I wonder if part of my problem is that we, as a family, are deeper than most of the seemingly superficial families around us. Sure they are constantly busy with stuff, but with what? They shuffle the kids off from one class or lesson to the next, but do the kids ever do more than go through the motions? They don't in our Brownie troop. They aren't interested in much more than the meeting and at those they seem to only be interested in running around playing tag before and after the meetings start. (I know, I'm the only freak leader who sees a real problem with this.)

The families on our block are constantly buying new stuff and throwing away perfectly usable stuff. Not even donating it, throwing it out in the trash. As in to the dump with it. This week there was a nice set of 4 chairs, a Little Tikes slide and a guitar in the trash. Why don't they give it away, sell it, fix it if it is broken, hold onto it for parts? I don't know. They don't think beneath the surface and throw it away.

The parents seem too focused on keeping their kids busy. Starting with preschool for two year olds, into full day kindergarten at five, then into activities four nights a week plus Saturdays. They rarely do anything as a family. I wonder how well they really know each other.

Well, I don't know if I've really made any sense or any points at all. Chalk it up to airing more of my increasing frustrations with society.

1 comment:

Quill said...

I have a chalkboard.