Thursday, August 16, 2007

Don't complain to me

A public school mom I know was just complaining to me about how ridiculous the school supply lists are. Uh huh, and why exactly are you telling me this? I don't care. Complain to the school. Don't just sit around complaining get off your butt and DO something about it. Go to the school board meeting, refuse to buy the extra stuff, send what you think your kid needs. Don't bother telling me.

She said they need all these extra supplies that go into a community bin in case some kid needs more or loses theirs. Yeah, that wouldn't be happening if I were the one sending my kid there. I'd refuse, that's ridiculous. I'll buy my kid what my kid needs. If you can show me a kid in real need that can't afford school supplies, I'll buy that kid supplies. But not just to go into the "extra bin". No way.

They need 36 pencils. No way I'd send 36 pencils in. 6 tops. When those break, get lost or wear down, you'll get 6 more sent in. Keep track of them. Let me know.

They need to have color coded folders so that when the teacher wants them to turn in their science homework she or he can just tell the class to turn in their green folders. The kids can't figure out "science folder." I say if the kids can't figure out what folder says "science" on it, maybe the teachers should worry a little less about how many extra pencils there are and worry a little more about teaching.

And if I may continue my rant just a little more, how exactly is this preparing them for the "real world"? We homeschool moms hear that one all the time. If we don't sent our kids to public school they won't be ready to handle the "real world." Let's see, does the bank tell me to bring my "green" folder in? No, I have to figure out all on my own which is my paycheck, which is my bank account and make that deposit. What if I run out of eggs, can I just go to the supply bin and get more? Well, if I'm in real financial need I can fill out paperwork and be put on welfare and food stamps. I guess that is the same. Even then I have to get into the system and show I have need and haven't just misplaced them. Then I have to take my food vouchers to the store and make my purchases. The vast majority of us, thankfully, never are on welfare and don't have to do that. We have to go to the store and buy more. Not just get extras from the neighbors.

1 comment:

Quill said...

I think this stinks. My niece is 6 and in the first grade this year. She's not allowed to enjoy the rush of printing her name on her own box of crayons. Pfft, I say!