Sunday, May 8, 2011

What I did on Mother's Day

Ah, Mother's Day. Our holiday. I think we should get a few of these a year, or maybe even a Mother's Month.

Today I have been finishing up projects I haven't had time to get to lately. I finished reading a book for my online class. It was the last book for this year.



I didn't care for it as much as some of the other books we've read in class. I think I just couldn't connect with the protagonist. I am looking forward to discussing the book and hearing what the others thought of it.

I helped Violet make her first pot holder. Remember the pot holder looms? And how the loops pop up off the little pegs all the time? They still do. But I think it looks pretty good.



We also finished up two greyhound legwarmers.



"Legwarmers for greyhounds? What?" I hear you asking. Well, you know they are a very fashionable dog. No, of course not. A lady I work with devotes all her spare time to an organization that rescues and rehabs injured racing greyhounds. Many of the dogs they get in have broken legs. When the casts come off, sometimes the doggies still have a metal plate on their leg for support. That metal can get pretty chilly in the winter. When we were talking with her one day we got the idea of having the Girl Scout Juliettes knit some leg warmers for the dogs. We didn't get them done in time for this winter, but it will get cold again, and unfortunately there will be dogs who will need them. The drawstrings are for their people to be able to better secure the leg warmers in place. One nice thing about them is that they can be any color at all, and each dog only wears one at a time so there's no color coordination needed.

I also finished the hat I'm making for my cousin. I'm still working on her matching scarf. I'm over halfway done with the scarf. Just in time to send it to her in Southern Mississippi for when the temperatures start hitting triple digits. So I don't have the best timing.



Gosh, I didn't do much else. I did some planning for the last 2 Girl Scout get togethers and found more supplies we'll need. I exercised this morning. Quick weekly round up: I managed to exercise 4 times last week. Not bad.

I'll tell you what I didn't do today: work! I was at my desk (in my office which is a hour's drive away) by 7:30 yesterday morning. I did everything I needed to so I could take the full day off today. That's two Sundays in a row. I'm getting to like this.

I also did no cleaning or cooking today. And now? I'm off to read a book of my choosing (a Donald E. Westlake from the Dortmunder series).

Hope you all had wonderful Mother's Days too!

3 comments:

Gail said...

Happy Mother's Day to you. I'm glad you had a chance to relax a bit.

And, wow, my younger daughter is going to be all over that greyhound legwarmer idea. That would've made a great Bronze Award project.

Ami said...

I did laundry. Dishes. And am currently soaking a sink full of stuff to dye.

Happy Mother's Day to you!
Hope you get NEXT Sunday off, too.

Mother Mayhem said...

What a great way to spend a day! :o)

The projects look great. LOVE the pot holder! Keep up the good work you two!