Monday, November 19, 2007

Squish

Got the mammogram today. Glad that is over. Boy, do they squish your girls or what? Ouch. But it is for the greater good. I know that. But I am not relishing being over 40 and having to do that every single year for the rest of my life. I know, with mammograms my life could be way longer than without. I'll go. I'll do it. I just won't enjoy it. Just like every other woman, right? Hey! I finally found the great equalizer. So I'm not much like most of the women at the bus stop (I assume, I've never been there) or at the Girl Scout meetings or on the block or pretty much anywhere else. But we all dislike mammograms. Maybe I'm not so different after all.

Moving on, we did get a little school work done today. I'm at a loss on how to help Violet with math facts. I guess just more games with dice and dominoes and cards. Make her have fun with trying to remember that 4 plus 6 is 10. She's 8, she should know this cold! Sigh. I can't push her. She isn't me. She thinks differently and learns differently. She's a smart kid. Just doesn't have a head for numbers. Just like her father.

I think we checked out every fantasy novel in the library today. She gets that from Mr. Incredible too. I read mysteries when I was her age. Encylopedia Brown, Trixie Beldon, Nancy Drew, even the really old Cherry Ames series the librarian had to dig out of the back for me. (Well, some of those are when I was a bit older than 8, but you get my point. I read mysteries, she reads about fairies and dragons).

Two more days until we leave on our mini-trip. Yippee! We'll try to get more work done tomorrow. Violet has the rocks class. I'll take a magazine and read. I guess I should try to clean up the house too. Nah.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can clean it when you get back. ;o)

Wendy said...

Ahhh, math. My son loves math and picks it up quickly. But language and reading? Not so much.

I think all children have their strengths and challenges. She'll get her mathematical ducks in a row sooner or later, I'm sure. Just keep working together. :-)

Ah, mini-trips. I must admit to be glad to NOT be taking any for the remainder of this year! lol