Sunday, November 18, 2007

Bah humbug

Can I be the first to say it? I'm already tired of the holidays. I don't want to decorate. I don't want to buy presents for extended family. I don't want to send out cards (that one's easy enough, I haven't done it in years).

I do want to cook a turkey dinner though. I like cooking turkeys. And Violet wants to make turkey noodle soup with the carcass.

There are rumblings about going to MIL's family on Christmas. I don't want to go. I want to stay home. Especially on Christmas Day. I might be talked into it on a different day.

I don't want to exchange presents with people who don't seem to really know me anyway. At least they don't by the presents they give me. I don't need another picture frame. I don't need another ugly sweater. I don't need more bath gel. Donate the money to my favorite charity instead. Or heck, your favorite charity.

Or better yet give it to the family down the block who have just been laid off/diagnosed with cancer/had a fire/or another terrible thing happen. Every block has that family. Luckily it isn't us this year. I hope it isn't you either. It could very easily be one us of next year. I hope not, but these things happen very suddenly and without warning. Spread some good karma and give to those who need it. I'm fine right now. I can do without another candle or kitchen gadget.

Maybe I just need some egg nog. Spiked of course. I think I am already going through caffeine withdrawl waiting for the stupid mammogram. It has been 4 hours. 20 more to go. Wait, beer doesn't have caffeine. What am I doing here, when I could be drinking beer?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup. Sounds like caffeine withdrawal to me. TeeHee.

Fatcat said...

You're not supposed to have caffiene before a mammogram?

Whoops.

I'm not tired of Christmas yet this year, but I will get there. I'll be bah humbuging with you in a few weeks.

I like Christmas, it just gets kind of overwhelming.

Maddy said...

Visiting from Ami. We're both at home drinking egg nog [sadly not spiked]
Best wishes

Wendy said...

I'm in total agreement with you (except for the eggnog part... heh heh).

My in-laws are coming HERE. But not staying in my home, thank goodness!

And the gift madness is what really gets me. I pretty much keep the giving to close friends and immediate family. Everyone else? TOO BAD!

dariasmama said...

May I humbly (yeah, right *snicker*) suggest thehungersitedotcom? If you buy gifts they donate food to third world countries. If you want to make donations you can have your family give things like shoes to schoolgirls in Africa. All the grownups this year are getting donations. They won't have to dust it or find a place to store it. I say double thumbs up.