Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Thrift store finds

Violet and I went to the thrift store today, with my parents.  Actually we went twice.  We went once, went out to lunch, and they decided they wanted to go back and look for chairs to go with the table they had already purchased.  We went back, they found chairs.  All of the items are in the back waiting for Dad to pick them up tomorrow in the truck.

But I didn't intend to blog about their purchases, I want to talk about ours!  I found a bunch of yarn.  Since I'm working on a patchwork blanket, it is perfect.  I am making a bunch of squares and will sew them together when I'm done.  Violet found a Webkinz with the code still intact and a Disney picture holder.  I got a measuring cup (I never seem to have enough and the measurement numbers are fading from some of mine - I have to get out the reading glasses to see them!).  I also found a sweater, a hand towel and a book about making puppets.  Violet picked out some rubber stamps, actually a huge bag of them.  Now we need an ink pad. 

And she found a one-yard piece of fleece, red with white stars.  She's going to make herself a no sew blanket with it.  Quick question for my sewing blog readers, can I stick it in the washing machine to freshen it up before she uses it?  I don't want to lose that wonderful new fleece softness.  But we also don't know where it was stored and what crawled all over it before it was donated.  Thoughts?  It looks clean and smells fine.  We have a wonderfully clean and nice thrift store.  But still, ya know?

We hadn't been to the thrift store in a while.  It was definitely a good outing.

4 comments:

Fatcat said...

I would wash it.

Don't cha just love thrift stores?

Mel said...

I wish our local closest thrift store was nice but it's such a filthy garbage dump of crap! It's seriously awful, they sell things that are broken, damaged, and old-not-in-a-good-way-old, and should just generally be in the trash and everything is all just mixed up together. Ugh! I was kind of mad actually because I'd dropped off tons of stuff there over time without ever going inside...they have a drive-thru donate...like brand new throw pillows, nice lamps, and things like that (stuff we didn't need after we moved) and I wonder where all the other nicer stuff goes! Certainly not into their store. Anyway, I am ranting. LOL Glad you had such good finds!

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of our local thrift store. Here, you really have to check in every week (they are only open 3 days) to see if there is anything new, or you might miss out. ;)

Gail said...

Fleece varies in quality quite a bit, but it should be washable. I'd go ahead a wash it.

Sounds like you found some really cool stuff!