Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Knitting

I learned to knit yesterday. Well, "learned" is probably too strong of a word. Violet and I had our first knitting lesson. An aunt of some homeschool friends of Violet taught us during their book club meeting. They read the historical American Girl series. Knitting fit right in with the books. I don't usually sit in on book club, but I wanted to learn to knit too.

As you can see from my first finished piece I need to practice.




I gave it to Violet to be used as a blanket for her dolls (The McDoll Family). I think the McDoll's are going to donate it to a homeless shelter who will then donate it to the pet rescue. The dogs might deem it worthy to sleep on. Maybe not. There are a lot of holes in it.

Anyone know why I'm getting holes? I know I added stitches as I went and that is why it isn't rectangular.

I left all the imperfections in it instead of trying to fix my mistakes. (Don't tell our instructor, she recommended ripping out rows and starting over. I will eventually but not yet.) For one, it cracks me up to see what a state it ended up in! And for two, it was just a practice piece and is supposed to look like I'm just learning.

I'll keep practicing. But so far, it is the best knitting I've ever done. Can't beat that!

4 comments:

Freakmom said...

Duh, Violet just pointed out that it got bigger after I switched needles part way through. She wanted to try to smaller needles and found them easier to handle, so we traded.

I'm getting there. :grin:

Gail said...

There are lots of reasons for holes -- you could've put the yarn over your needle, then knitted it like a stitch on the next row, you could've switched hands and started back the other way mid-row -- those are 2 I can think of off the top of my head.

I had my student do their first attempt in wool. Then I felted it down in the washing machine, and they could dye it with food coloring or koolaid, and also cut it up into any shape they desired. Felting covers a multitude of mistakes. I only suggested ripping out and redoing in really extreme cases, like the person who was managing to add about 25 stitches to every row because she kept forgetting to take the old stitch off of the needle and thus kept knitting into the same stitch again and again and again and again.

Good for you for trying something new.

Sandra said...

Although the word blanket may be a strong word for your creation, I do think it's great you're learning how to knit. I can't even thread a needle! ...yes, I'm bitter and jealous!

Mel said...

Knitting and other fabric oriented hobbies scare the crap out of me hence I have never pursued them! LOL I'm sure my first knit attempt would look much worse than that! I'm the only female on my mother's side that can't knit/crochet/sew/quilt/embroider/etc.The. Only. One. The gene skipped me!