Thursday, March 4, 2010

Writing Strands

Does anyone have an opinion about Writing Strands they'd care to share? (Ha, homeschool moms not wanting to share an opinion, that'd be the hard thing to find!) I'm strongly considering getting book 3 for Violet for the fall. She'll be going into 6th grade. She's previously been very reluctant to write, but lately has shown an interest. She's very creative, but often needs a kick start. I think if I just give her writing assignments she'll roll her eyes at me and never do them. But she seems to like the idea of a book to guide her through it. I showed her the samples from their website today and she was interested.

Anyway, the price looks right. But I'd still like to know how others enjoyed it or didn't care for it. How you used it. That sort of thing. Thanks!

We're almost through our busiest of busy weeks. Mr. Furnace Guy said we also need a new igniter. $208 dollars for a little part, held in by one screw. And no, he couldn't just do it today and include it in the labor from today's work, although Mr. I. is certain he had the part out in his truck. Mr. I. searched online, found a place called the Igniter Store, that only sells igniters and gives a free "wine opener" which each purchase! What a deal. (I don't know how a "wine opener" differs from a corkscrew, but you know me and my merlot - I'm game to find out!) He hadn't researched to find out which igniter we needed but he said they range from $20 to $50 dollars. He's sure he can change one screw to install it himself.

When I write the blog entry entitled, "Today our house blew up," you'll know why.

We haven't completely decided yet, I think he's going to get some advice from either his dad or mine, both pretty skilled fellas when it comes to home repair and mechanical things. But $50 versus $208. He's thinking hard about that and doing more research.

Our snow is melting, it was sunny and our temperatures hit 40 today! You just can't help but feel better with weather like that.

Oh, and the dentist thinks Violet will be ready for phase 2 of braces soon. We'll have another orthodontist visit in a month or two to find out for sure. I hope her last two baby teeth take their own sweet time coming out. I don't know how we'll swing phase two right now. We had dental insurance and two jobs for phase one. Mr. I. is likely to vote not to do the phase, but her teeth are so improved, I'd hate to not have them just right. I think if we don't it will lead to more problems down the road. My mom got braces at 60. She might lend us the money if we need to.

Drat, I lost that "good weather" good feeling thinking about this. I'd better get out a wine opener and open me some shiraz.

3 comments:

Gail said...

I thought Writing Strands looked interesting. I showed the sample to my older dd, and she said it looked really, really dumb. So I didn't bother to get it.

Way back years ago we tried one of the earlier levels, and it really WAS dumb. We both hated it. The assignments struck me as silly, dippy, pointless.

By the way, this same dd specifically requested Gail Carson Levine's book on writing (Writing Magic) for her birthday, and is often dragging it around. GCL also blogs about writing.

Ami said...

Orthodontic stuff sucks. It's expensive and painful. Both my kids braces were out of pocked... no ortho coverage on our insurance.
::sigh::

I know NOTHING about writing strands.
My daughter enjoyed the writing book Real Toads in Imaginary Gardens.

12356 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.