Thursday, March 18, 2010

Rolling Along

Sorry I'm so AWOL. I think I start every post like that. I have a lot of post ideas, but by the end of the day, I'm just tired of being in front of my computer. I've been working a jigsaw puzzle. I really enjoy sitting there instead of here. But I miss you all. Wish you could all be at my puzzle with me.

Let's see, what's new.

I did go with Writing Strands. Thank you to both Ami and Gail for your other writing program recommendations. I've actually bookmarked them. I don't think Violet is quite ready for either of them. She started Writing Strands on Monday. We'll see what happens with it. I think the basic instruction and guidelines are what she needs now. But I'm far from a stickler with curriculum. If she wants to skip parts, that's fine. If she wants to do something different, that's fine. I use curriculum, it doesn't use me. After she gets some basic practice, I'll have her look at the two books your daughters recommended (recommendations from other homeschool kids is a big plus in her book) and see if she wants to try them. (And if Writing Strands turns out to be a miserable failure, it won't be the first curriculum failure we've had and moved on from).

We also got Word Roots from Critical Thinking. Violet is really liking that. She's been studying Latin, little by little, for a while and is enjoying it.

On the work front, I had a bit of a break this week and took full advantage of it. I did our taxes (we owe Federal but get a little more than we owe back from the state). I slept. I did the aforementioned jigsaw puzzle. I'm dreading Saturday. There's a big deadline looming and I'm afraid that if I'm in the office I'll be dragged into work I'd rather not do. I'd prefer to clean the bathrooms. Or clean out poison ivy from the trails. Or scrub the hallways with a toothbrush. But on the plus side, there's snow and icy mix in our forecast. I'm hoping for bad weather. Then I'll have an excuse to wig out and not go in. Hard to get as excited about work when they've dashed your hopes and dreams. I know. Welcome to the real world. Work sucks.

On Mr. Incredible's work front, he sent off his resume this morning for his dream job. He says he is underqualified for it. But it would be a perfect fit. So if you have it in a you to say a prayer, send a good vibe, rub your lucky rabbit's foot, or just lift a pint of Guinness and say a hearty, "Good luck, Man!" we'd appreciate it. It would involve moving out of state, but he would be so good at it and would really love it.

But, back to me. Did I tell you all I sent off my resume too? I applied for an instructor position at an online university. I was underqualified as well, but what they hey. Can't hurt.

More good news. I got Violet into a different swim class. She isn't completely sold on the idea. She did like her old class. But the date and time were in conflict with other activities and was stressing me out. This one is back to our old day and time, but with a new instructor. Violet has loved all the swim instructors she's had, so I'm sure she'll like this girl too. But if she doesn't, we'll move her back.

We have had beautiful weather the last few days (yes, I did say snow and ice predicted in two days, but warm and in the 60s today, welcome to the midwest in March). Violet and I went for walks yesterday and today. Then this afternoon she took Mr. I. out for a walk. She wanted to show him these weird mounds that are out along the edges of the pond near us. They look a little like beaver dams, but it is a pond not a river, and I don't think we get many beaver here. We do get raccoons and possums, but I don't think they build lodges like these. They are probably something man made to stop erosion or something. If I call the parks department and ask (they are on their property) it'll turn out they are composting Christmas trees or something and I'll look silly.

As always, I promise to be better about keeping up with my blogging buddies. For now, I'm off to my puzzle. Grab a glass of wine and meet there if you want!

3 comments:

Ami said...

Nice to hear from you. Sending good thoughts on the job situation and good thoughts for Violet's new swimming teacher, too.

Hope you're not too puzzled to chat tomorrow night.

:)

Mother Mayhem said...

Wish I was close enough to help you work that puzzle! :o)

I've been AWOL too. Being sick womps.

Saying prayers on the Incredible Family's behalf! HUGS.

MOM #1 said...

It's ok. I've been very sporadic with my blogging lately too. It's nice to hear you're doing well.

Good luck on those resumes!