Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day

Yes, I'm still alive. Still breathing. But that's it.

I have been so busy with work. And I'm more stressed than ever by it. I'm trying to get a promotion. I didn't realize how much extra work that would be. If I'd known I don't think I would have done it. Now, if I back out, but want to try again in 3 years, they won't give me the chance. I have to stick it out and see if I get it. It isn't one particular job, it is a new level. They'll make the announcement in the summer. I have to work my butt off until then. Sigh.

I have a desk at work again. I've been trying to find stuff to put there, so it looks like I actually use it. I don't want to take anything that is really meaningful there, so I've been trying to find stuff that just "looks meaningful." I need to make a run to the thrift shop to buy a bunch of other people's discarded keepsakes to pose as my own. Violet and I went to the outlet mall and I got a place setting, mug and glass to take in. We get a lot of meals brought in. I didn't want to use paper plates every time. So now I'm the freak bringing my own plate to the company lunches. Sigh.

In the homeschool world, things are going well. Violet loves our new daily schedules. It does keep us on track. She's loving History of US, Latin, and even spelling! Can you believe it? Spelling! I think she just wasn't ready before. And she's been practicing handwriting too! I am so glad she hasn't been in prison, I mean institutionalized schooling, all this time and forced to work on both before she was ready.

Mr. I has his business started. He had a paying customer this week. The business run by a homeschool dad we are friends with. There's still so much work for him to do to really be running as a small business owner. The unemployment payments finally started coming in. Thank goodness.

Violet's big news....she was moved up to level 5 in swimming. She started in level 2 less than a year ago. Her instructor wasn't sure about moving her up. She said Violet was technically ready, but she wasn't sure if she had the endurance to do the next level. She had her try swimming 100 yards instead of their 50's they did and Violet could do it, although she was winded. She moved her.

Violet LOVED her first level 5 class. Her new instructor is the sister of her old instructor. And she knows a girl in her class from a previous class. Get this...at her first class, Violet learned to do flip turns! She was pretty excited. She'd tried once or twice but couldn't do it. I am really glad it went so well, since I'd kinda been "that mom" and pushed her instructor to move her. I had to, Violet was bored in level 4. If she wasn't given the chance to challenge herself more, she would have wanted to quit.

I'll try to be better about updates. And I'm going to try to come by Ami's homeschool chat on Friday nights more often - that was really nice last week!

For now, I think I'll watch a little Olympics. I've earned a break.

5 comments:

Ami said...

It sounds like you're working too hard... hope you get the promotion you're hoping for and that it was/is worth all the work.

And it was fun to have you stop by to chat, and I'm glad to see you back blogging.

AND

Yay Violet... kicking butt in swimming now for sure!!

The Old Gray Mare said...

It was great to catch up with you!

Take care of yourself & don't get too overworked & stressed out.

Donna said...

I was wondering what you two were up to... I missed your posting.
Sure sounds like you are a busy gal! I don't know how you do it all.
Donna
http://homeschoolingsunnyflorida.blogspot.com/

Mother Mayhem said...

I'm on the hamster wheel too. HUGS.

SO proud of Violet! :o)

Fatcat said...

It's good to hear from you!

Wow, Violet is doing great!