Sunday, December 26, 2010

My End of the Year's Resolution

First a confession: I've got a magazine problem. I subscribe to quite few. I love them. My mom is an enabler, we trade magazines when we're done with them. She has her addiction under control, she actually reads and keeps up with them. I have stacks around the house. The stacks tip over. I say a bad word.

I go on a business trip and stick a couple in my suitcase for reading in the hotel room. I get about half way through, the magazine gets bookmarked and set aside. In a pile. That tips over. I say another bad word.

I counted this morning. I have 48 unfinished magazines in the house (47 actually, I finished the September-October 2009 issue of Home Education Magazine just before I sat down to write this post.) That's actually not nearly as bad as I thought it would be, but I have read quite a few in the last 2 days.

So back to my resolution. I resolve to get completely caught up in my magazines by the end of the year. I can even use January 1st and 2nd if need be, since they are the holiday weekend. I think it is doable. I just have to read 6 magazines a day. Work is really slow, we have no family plans, homeschool is on break. I should be able to do it.

I'll let you know how it goes. But I can't stick around online all day, I have magazines to read.

6 comments:

Ami said...

While we were preparing for the visit from the parental units, I found several magazines still in their plastic mailing sleeves.

I will go through them and recycle them by the end of the year.

And think of you while I do.
:)

Mother Mayhem said...

There isn't a single magazine in this house that I'm aware of... Don't ask about my catalog addiction. *Blush*

MOM #1 said...

Oh, I hear you. I had to pare it down to 1 magazine subscription. That's more than enough, and I usually don't even read a magazine until the next issue comes in . . . so I stay a month behind. Oh well! Goals, My Dear Lady, goals. We all have them!

SabrinaT said...

I need to do the same with my books.. I have a stack or 3 waiting to be read...

If and when I get through them all I want an E Reader.. Makes life easier.. Not toting around 1000 pounds of books..

Sandra said...

As much as I am laughing my ~insert bad word for butt~ off, I think you need to throw the magazines out or bring them to a dentist's or doctor's office, or an old age home, and accept that 47 magazines do not need to be read by you or a small village.

Mel said...

I am the same way, a magazine addict. A few years ago what has helped keep the stack smaller is that I rip out pages of articles, recipes, pictures, etc that I want to peruse closer later on and keep them in a folder then go through my pile and throw some out or trim them up and paste them in a notebook.