Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Feeling Better already

Notice I haven't been posting much lately? I've been so busy, running hither and yon. We went to Homeschool Day at Six Flags (great fun!) and spent a day out of state with the in laws. Work has been busy and we've been trying to get ready for vacation (starting Saturday morning!). Plus the Girl Scout season has started up and that's been busy. Oh, and 5th grade started of course!

Well, yesterday was my biggest day of all. I had to drive three and a half hours, spend time at a trade show booth, give a presentation, attend a social function, and finally collapsed into bed at 10 pm. Ten is the earliest I think I've gone to bed in months. When I finally got to my hotel room I was so tired (and had maybe one more appletini than I should have - just enough to make me really tired), I just crawled into bed.

It was my first presentation before a live professional audience in more than 5 years. I've done audioconferences, where they can't see me reading my notes as I go. I've done training sessions and reports to Girl Scout leaders. That's not quite the same either. I had a last minute co-speaker (my original co-speaker, actually I was to be her co-speaker, resigned from our firm). But I had written the session and gave most of it. (I was so glad to have the co-speaker though because she was most familiar with the section I was least familiar with.)

There was a slight panic attack before the session started when I couldn't figure out where to get my computer plugged in. My poor co-speaker started running off to get hers from her hotel room. Luckily we figured it out and caught her before she'd gone too far. I'm lucky she didn't kill me, but I had warned her I wanted to get there early to figure it out. I haven't spoken since before the days of hooking up your own computer to their equipment.

Anyway, our session was packed. It went well. Kind of bummed that we had no questions to fill our time allotted for questions and we ended early. The attendees didn't seem to mind. Hopefully the association sponsoring this won't mind. Don't know when we will get our evaluation summary...

But that doesn't matter, because now I'm all but on vacation! In a few minutes I'll head down to the breakfast buffet and hopefully meet a few co-workers there. I'll need to check out of my room - I'm heading home tonight! I want to attend a session later this morning, I have to work the trade show over lunch (I'll still get my oh so yummy box lunch though provided by the conference), and I'm sitting in a round table discussion but in the audience not in panel (my boss is in the panel and has asked a few of us to be there in case any questions come up that she's unfamiliar with). Then I drive back home.

Compared to yesterday, today is a cake walk!

6 comments:

The Old Gray Mare said...

I'm glad everything went well for you! Public speaking. Cringe.

Have a wonderful vacation!

Mother Mayhem said...

Did I just hear you exhale? :o)

Ami said...

I would rather sing it than speak it. You are a strong person indeed.

The reason no one had questions is because you did a wonderful job covering the material.

Wendy said...

First of all, happy vacation planning!

Wow, with everything you've been doing, I'm sure we can all understand your blog absence. :)

Here's hoping you get a great evaluation on your presentation and have a fabulous vacation.

Fatcat said...

“According to most studies, people's number one fear is public speaking. Number two is death. Death is number two. Does that sound right? This means to the average person, if you go to a funeral, you're better off in the casket than doing the eulogy.”
Jerry Seinfeld

I'm proud of you! Good job. Have fun on vacation. I am so jealous. We didn't get to go on one this year. :-( (Although we get to keep our jobs so I guess we should be grateful!)

MOM #1 said...

Well, I'm not sure about Fatcat, but I guess I'd rather be alive even if I do have to speak publicly than be dead, LOL.

Great job for you! I think I'm signing up for a public speaking course next semester . . . so I guess I'll be coming to you for tips.

I know what you mean about being so busy. My blog has become nothing but a wasteland. I'm trying to keep it up, but it's a mess.

I don't know how all you ladies work from home, keep a decent house, home school, and blog. YIKES! I think I'm missing the multi-tasking gene.