Wednesday, July 6, 2011

New Hat

I bought a knitting book called Kids Knitting. It has a lot of neat, easy projects for beginning knitters just like me. I did some experimenting first, and tonight I finished my first project: a hat with tassels. If you click on the link above and search for page 38, you can see how the hat is supposed to look. This is how mine turned out:





It looks better on Violet's head. She can make anything look good!

There is a scarf that goes with it, that will be my next project. My stitches are not perfect, my seams are particularly bad. But I am improving greatly.

I used to do a lot of embroidery. I mean A LOT. When I look back at my first pieces compared to my last, there is a vast improvement. I'm hoping that will happen with knitting too.

In other news, Violet turned 12 on Sunday. We had a nice family day. We got her a big Lego set, a teen cookbook and a pillow pet. Her party is this weekend. We've tried having her party closer to her actual birthday, but since her birthday is on the holiday weekend too many people are always out of town or otherwise tied up. She's having her Girl Scout friends over to watch the Yogi Bear movie, plus classic Yogi Bear cartoons. Pizza and cake will round out what we expect will be a fun evening.

Remember my promotion? Turns out quite a few people got promoted at the same time. I was pretty disappointed that the promotion might have just been because everyone was moving up, but I feel better now. Mental had some great advice. Thanks for being a sounding board for me. I'm going to enjoy my new title. Let everyone else worry about their own new titles. I'm a manager!

I'm not getting nearly as much done this summer as I'd hoped. (Maybe if I didn't spend all that time knitting, eh?) I am doing a lot of reading too. I'm working my way through the Dortmunder series by Donald Westlake. They are comedic crime novels. Quite entertaining and not deep. Perfect summer reading. I'm also working on the readings for Classic Moms at Abigail Adams Academy for next year. I've read the John Holt and am working on Pride and Prejudice. I really ended up enjoying Classic Moms last year and am looking forward to the new year.

Eventually I'll start the cleaning and organizing I need to do. I've done a little. But I've done more goofing off.

5 comments:

Gail said...

Hey, I have that knitting book -- I recognize the hat! I think yours looks great, by the way.

And thanks for the link to the cookbook -- we might be adding that to our collection.

Mel said...

The book didn't have that page online but without comparing it I think it looks just fine and much better than I could ever attempt! LOL It looks cute worn! Happy belated 12th birthday! Sounds fun. B's is in Sept and hope we have some friends by then to invite to SOMETHING.

Freakmom said...

I could find the page when I clicked "surprise me" a few times.

I'm glad you all like the hat! :)

Donna said...

Happy 12th Birthday to your daughter! I think you did a great job on your hat! Looks great on your daughter : )
Donna
http://homeschoolingsunnyflorida.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Easy and wonderful Dishcloth

Knitting needles 6 -9
1 skein 100% cotton yarn(Lily Sugar'n Cream)

Cast on 4 stitches

Row 1: Knit across
Row 2: K2, yarn over, knit to end of row (5 sts)
Repeat row 2 until you have 40 -45 stitches.
Next row: K1, K2 together, yarn over, K2 together, knit to end of row.
Repeat until 4 stitches are left. Knit one more row then bind off.

Viola! New dishcloth and I make them in fun colors, bright pink, neon green. Doing the dishes has never been so much fun!!

I am attempting a shawl. Pattern from Debbie MacComber.
My mom was the knitter, I should of paid more attention.

Love the hat!!! Something I would wear if it ever got cold in Florida!
Bunny